Need a crown, but don’t have the time in your schedule to wait weeks for a permanent one?
Dental crowns are one of the most frequently performed restorative procedures, but the process of getting a traditional crown isn’t exactly efficient. The fact that it can take a few weeks to get a permanent crown placed can be a major inconvenience for busy individuals whose schedules are already booked full with work, family, and personal obligations.
The solution to this problem is same day CEREC dental crowns.
CEREC dental crown technology makes it possible to get your trouble tooth permanently fixed in a single dental appointment.
Same day crowns are a huge time-saver for patients and dentists alike, thanks to the technology behind the CEREC system.
What CEREC Is and How the System Works
CEREC is an acronym for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics and combines CAD and CAM technology. CAD technology stands for Computer-Aided Design, while CAM stands for Computer-Aided Manufacturing.
To sum it up, CEREC technology relies on a computer and a computerized milling system to design and physically create a finished crown right in your dentist’s office. Taking images of your tooth and designing your crown are all performed digitally by your dentist.
Turning your crown into a single appointment event is just one advantage of many that come from the CEREC system.
The CEREC same day crown system is loved by dentists like Drs. Barr and Diachenko, but what does that mean for you as a patient? It turns out that patients love same day CEREC crowns as much as their dentists do.
Here are a few other advantages of same day dental crowns:
- CEREC is economical for your dentist, and that means you save, too. Even if you spare no expense when it comes to your dental care, spending less and getting the same result as a more expensive option makes sense. You might even treat yourself to some cosmetic care or professional tooth whitening session afterward for fun.
- You’ll feel more comfortable during the impression stage. CEREC is all about digital technology, and that means you’ll feel more comfortable when your dentist takes images of your teeth. You won’t need to bite down on putty to get a mold of your tooth.
- You won’t have to deal with a temporary crown. Temporary crowns can be a bit annoying. They don’t fit as perfectly as a permanent crown and can pop loose—and usually at the most inopportune time. Temporaries simply aren’t a thing with a same day crown.
- You get to be more involved in the design of your new crown. If tech makes you excited, you might even have fun at your same day CEREC appointment. Your dentist can show you the digital images and even the crown design they come up with before milling.
Drs. Barr and Diachenko love when their patients want to be involved in their dental care, so if you’re curious about the science behind CEREC, let us know and we’ll take you through the process during your appointment.
What You Can Expect When You Get a Same Day CEREC Crown
If you’ve only had lab-created crowns before, you’ll be impressed with how quick and easy it is to get a same day CEREC crown.
There are five main steps you’ll go through with your dentist during your appointment:
- Tooth Prep: Before your tooth can be covered with a crown, it needs to be prepped. Depending on the issue with your tooth, this prep step may involve deep cleaning, decay removal, or maybe a root canal. Your dentist may also remove a small amount of enamel to compensate for the thickness of the crown.
- Digital Impressions: If you’re not a fan of getting traditional dental impressions, you’ll really enjoy this step. At Barr & Diachenko, we take digital 3D images of your teeth. This only takes a couple of minutes to do and requires no gooey, uncomfortable putty in your mouth.
- Designing: Using your digital images, your dentist will custom-design a crown to fit your now prepped tooth. This includes size, shape, and selecting a proper color to match your smile.
- Milling: Once you and your dentist are happy with the crown design, we will send the image to the CEREC milling machine for “printing.” The CEREC machine will carve your crown from a durable piece of medical-grade ceramic.
- Placement: In less than half an hour, your new permanent CEREC crown will be completed and your dentist will be able to permanently bond it to your tooth. Your dentist will then do a little final shaping and polishing to ensure the final result looks natural and beautiful.
Caring for Your Same Day CEREC Crown After Your Appointment
Right after your appointment, you’ll still be feeling numb from the anesthetic. Depending on what prep work was done on your tooth, you may feel mild soreness around your tooth as the numbness wears off. It’s also normal for your newly crowned tooth to feel slightly sensitive to hot or cold drinks and food items for a few weeks after your appointment.
Complications after a same day crown are rare, but it’s important to know which symptoms are a red flag. If you feel pain, severe or prolonged sensitivity, or feel like your teeth are hitting, it’s important to contact your dentist.
Aside from monitoring how your crown feels, you can simply carry on with your normal at-home dental care routine. A crowned tooth isn’t impervious to decay, so be sure to continue flossing and thoroughly brushing around the crown.
Book your same day crown visit with Barr & Diachenko today.
The sooner you get your crown placed, the sooner you can smile with confidence knowing your problem tooth is now healthy and strong.
Barr & Diachenko is a comprehensive dental practice conveniently located in downtown Chicago by Millennium Park. Our full menu of dental services means after we help you with CEREC crowns, we can continue with any other dental needs you have, from general care to cosmetic dentistry and Invisalign.
When you’re ready to book a visit with Drs. Barr and Diachenko, you can either call our office directly or fill out our online appointment request form.